Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Map Generation

Working on a RTS-like/City Sim-like game and working on getting a large map for it. My plan is that the game be tile based and completely procedurally generated. Working with some Simplex Noise, I've generated what I hope will be a the starting point of my levels, but I need to work on the scale. The generated images here have no scale, but they appear as though they would be in the scale of several (possibly hundred) square miles or km, which is impractical.  The goal is to have a tile equal about half a meter or 1.6 feet, about the width of a person.  That makes path finding and collision avoidance/detection easier.  My plan is also to make one pixel in the map correspond to one tile, this poses the problem that the below images would be 200 meters for most, the tiled ones were generated as 400x400 px, and the largest image would still only be half a km, at 1000x1000 px.  At the moment my noise is normalized to always contain [0,1] so it always looks similar, scale changes do make it look better, but even I try to get it to generated square at a much more detailed scale it still has large patches of 'desert' near water because of the way the noise is mapped to land, still thinking of a way to deal with this. I am thinking generating the noise for a larger area and using that to normalize a smaller actually used area.

This one is to show the way the tiles will hopefully look.



UPDATE: I've been tinkering and I got the following image for different levels of zoom, the left-most image is the landscape I'm thinking will be a mile or km width/height.  each set of images is scaled by two.

No comments:

Post a Comment